Sunday 6 September 2009

Tu connais le bucheron?

Yesterday, Ali and I took a thirty minute bus to St Jean de Luz from Biarritz. It’s a really pretty town in proper Basque country which I hope to return to at a later date for a more thorough inspection. It had a traditional atmosphere but not in an old way, in fact most of the shops were very alternative and ‘kitsch’, there were a lot of cool clothes shops which seemed quite reasonable, unlike the shops in Biarritz.
Ali and I wasted an hour or so in search of a decent boulangerie where I could get a pistachio macaroon. But to no avail, we returned to the youth hostel and spent the evening getting to know this French couple who approached Ali at the beach and asked ‘do you like beer’? He decided to bring them back. If it had been me, I would have suspected them, but apparently in France, especially in the south, people are very open and approachable, I hope that I can meet some more people like this during my stay. The conversations we had that night were amusing, mostly about the ‘bucheron’ aka the lumberjack in the guy’s room who snores so badly he sounds like he is choking. The bucheron is a scary looking man with yellowing teeth and a leering smile. Apparently he is after the pretty Brazilians here.
Today I lounged on the beach and am happy to say gained a small tan. I also did some washing which had dried easily in the gorgeous weather here. Overall, a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah glad you had a good day! Sounds lovely catching some rays! I send you my love.
    Saranghae
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete